A free fan-made modification for Age of Empires III

Malice
Topic Author
Pet Orangutan
Pet Orangutan

AI in 1.8

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:22 am

Hey guys which AI are coded as opponents in the new patch?

I feel like 90% of the time it randomizes one that just sits there and maybe builds a house or two while the other teams AI build an empire...?
Are certain ones not programmed yet as an AI?

Fireman
Coureur des Bois
Coureur des Bois

Re: AI in 1.8

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Ethopia, Australia, Habsburg and Zulu don't do anything at all.

Peru doesn't seem to function properly (they don't gather resources, only receive shipments). Egypt doesn't age up..

Brazil, Argentine, Chileans, Paraguay and Colombia seem to work but are inferior to the original A.I.'s.

Romania, Serbians, Bulgarians and Greeks stop after building 3 houses. You can ask them for resources however.

Mapuche doesn't seem to use their Explorer units, but seems to function.

Malice
Topic Author
Pet Orangutan
Pet Orangutan

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:30 pm

Awesome , Thank you.

So I should stick to the original civs when playing against AI?

Fireman
Coureur des Bois
Coureur des Bois

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:08 pm

You can use any not mentioned above and Canada, USA, Brazil, Argentine, Chileans, Paraguay and Colombia, they work fine. On Expert they might slack behind a bit.

I would avoid the other Indian tribes except the original ones and the Inca's, they do really well.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Mehal Sefari
Mehal Sefari

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Tupi do well. Balkan ais know how to function, but do not know how to age up.

Fireman
Coureur des Bois
Coureur des Bois

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:27 pm

Tupi seemed to do something but definitely couldn't keep up with any other AI. They build like seven farms and one barracks (War Hut) in like 15 minutes.

If the Barracks is behind a Age up for all the Balkan countries, that is true. They build two/three houses then stop, I wouldn't call that knowing how to function :P

IgorJ
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi,

I have just played Mexico(me) vs Australia and the opponent didnt do anything. Just moved to another age and thats it. The game was set on expert and rule-classic.
Any solution?

CelticCrusader
Rum Corpsman
Rum Corpsman

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:08 pm

IgorJ wrote:
Hi,

I have just played Mexico(me) vs Australia and the opponent didnt do anything. Just moved to another age and thats it. The game was set on expert and rule-classic.
Any solution?

Austrailia AI doesnt really do much. I would play against original civs, or latin american civs. Also USA and Canada work, and Inca AI is pretty good too. 
Steam & ESO : CelticCrusader
GameRanger: Celtic_Crusader

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein

Memnon
Worker Wagon
Worker Wagon

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:30 am

Actually, if you want to play against the Habsburgs, the only reason they're not working is because of a couple missing lines of code in an AI file. The Habsburgs actually work really well, assuming you're willing to do the simplest of AI scripting.

In the AI3 folder there is a file called aiwottamain.xs. Open this with Notepad or some other text editor, find "Wars of Liberty Additions," and underneath that heading add the code:
   if (kbGetCiv() == cCivHabsburgs)  
      gEconUnit = cUnitTypeTross;
      gHouseUnit = cUnitTypeWOLHouseHabsburg;

This tells the game that the Habsburgs don't use normal villagers (or apparently build normal houses), but instead use their unique Trosses (and build special Habsburg houses). The Habsburg AI wasn't doing anything before because it thought it was supposed to use normal villagers but it didn't have any.

I can't imagine this will work online, but you can (and should) always make a backup of the original file that you can swap out.

Fireman
Coureur des Bois
Coureur des Bois

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:02 am

Nice find, hope  it's added to the next update, or a hotfix.