A free fan-made modification for Age of Empires III

Charger24
Topic Author
Idle Settler
Idle Settler

Flag Update on Age-Up - Possible?

Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:27 pm

Would it be theoretically possible to have a country's primary flag and/or small flag homecity button change with age-ups? I'm a sucker for good flag mods, and it would be really neat to have something set up where each age up moves the country's flag to something historically in line with the relevant era. I've been playing around with the .xml files for years and haven't come up with anything, but maybe somebody here has an idea?

The one I'm testing with right now is Chile. Having the blue-white-yellow tricolour for ages 1/2/3 and the modern flag for ages 4/5 would be fantastically cool.

Tzommar
Dancing Bear
Dancing Bear

Re: Flag Update on Age-Up - Possible?

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:17 am

Flag update is only possible if you age-up through revolutions.

Tzommar
"Let's not put a goal, let's put a open goal. When we reach the goal, we will double the goal."

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
Mimi kuishi katika latin Nchi moja.

Charger24
Topic Author
Idle Settler
Idle Settler

Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:37 am

Tzommar wrote:
Flag update is only possible if you age-up through revolutions.

Hm. I suppose it wouldn't be possible for civs to have more than one "revolution" though, no? Or is that something that can be coded around? Even just one flag change around age IV/V would be neat (Prussia -> German Empire, old UK flag -> new UK flag, Empire of Mexico -> US of Mexico as examples).

Tahattus
Oromo Horseman
Oromo Horseman

Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:39 am

As far as I know, it's impossible. You can't separate the flag change from other changes such as revolution music and HC change.

Tahattus
Founder of War of the Triple Alliance modding team

Image tahattus@gmail.com    Contact me: Image Image Brazil for the win! Image

"When are you gonna stop?" - Tilanus Commodor
"Definitely a fun and unique civ that we will never see anything close to in Napoleonic Era 2.21 for the next 40 to 59 years minimum right Tilanus?" - UnstoppableStreletsy

Titan Joker
Gaucho
Gaucho

Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:06 pm

I suppose you could make your ingame flag invisible, then add your own flags as attachments to the buildings, but the flag buttons however you could never change, nor the post-game-flag...
''If you don't have a Petey pete in your life, then your life isn't worth living''
-Winston Churchill
''WoL stealing Cossacks models in 3 ... , 2 ... , 1 ...''
-Gollum

Checanos
Trapped Settler
Trapped Settler

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:50 pm

I dont know but it seems like trying to change the flag each age isn't necessarily worth the effort. I mean if you want to it's fine, I just don't think that most players care that much if the flag is a bit outdated historical-wise in certain ages.  

AidanMiller
Trapped Settler
Trapped Settler

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:34 am

Well...  What about the Pendents?  I noticed for the United States the "Sub Flag" for lack of a better word on the TC will change depending on whether you picked a Confederate or Union Politician.  Speaking of, the flag being used for the confederates is incorrect.  The x-shaped set of stars was their Battle Flag.  Back to my earlier point, maybe it would be possible to place the "Sub Flag" in place of the main one and have that update.

Tahattus
Oromo Horseman
Oromo Horseman

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:56 am

AidanMiller wrote:
Speaking of, the flag being used for the confederates is incorrect. 

Made on purpose

Tahattus
Founder of War of the Triple Alliance modding team

Image tahattus@gmail.com    Contact me: Image Image Brazil for the win! Image

"When are you gonna stop?" - Tilanus Commodor
"Definitely a fun and unique civ that we will never see anything close to in Napoleonic Era 2.21 for the next 40 to 59 years minimum right Tilanus?" - UnstoppableStreletsy

DayoftheNinja
Elephant Worker
Elephant Worker

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:23 am

We prefer more recognizable or striking flags over complete historical accuracy - it makes it easier for the player to identify what they're using. And yes, as was stated above, flags on buildings can be changed, but the homecity and postgame flags will remain the same.
Yes, if it weren't for DOTN there would be no WoL.
    -Tahattus