A free fan-made modification for Age of Empires III

stefan.stefanović
Topic Author
Tigray Lancer
Tigray Lancer

Best nations for specific strategies

Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:48 pm

As this game has a plethora of nations and diverse playstyles, it is obvious that some nations will excel at certain things. This thread is more of a discussion piece, so we can share our thoughts on the best nations in specific playstyles
I will have a runner up, and the best one for multiple styles of play, depending on what the circumstances need you to do.
1. Rusher
This style revolves around quickly attacking the enemy and preventing him from retaliating. These nations can fall off at one point or another, but their early game should always be feared.
Runner up: Tupi.
Simple economy, cheap units, solid early shipments, be certain that you will get swarmed by these guys. What holds them back is them having 2 settlers for different tasks, making early economy tricky to plan
Best: Egypt.
Fellahs are excellent at disabling enemy peasants and you can send them at Age1, when the only defence is hiding in your TC, you know he will lose a good amount of resources from having to defend his villagers from these raiders. Add an Age2 card that gives 13 of them...yeah. Don't be suprised if your opponent ends up starved of resources early on.
2. Boomer
Prepare slowly but steadily, and then unleash the beast! These nations rely on that one extremely powerful attack that can decide the game, most often in Age3 or 4.
Runner up: Japanese.
Known for their amazing Samurai and extremely powerful late game, the Japs can use their extremely powerful infantry to demolish the enemy with them only losing a minor amount of units. Add a Shogun to make them stronger, and you basically have a One Punch Man nation. What holds them back is that they are infantry reliant, so countering them is often quite easy.
Best: French.
Superior settlers, so economy is most often great. Excellent skirmisher, Foreign Legion is an extrenely formidable musketeer, and let's not start on their Cuirassier. There is a reason why French are feared late game.
3. Turtler
Play it safe, defend, and be unkillable. These nations focus on defending themselves.
Runner-up: Bulgaria.
Even though they have to wait a long time to produce military, their strong peasants and solid shipments make them able to hold out until they are able to strike a mighty blow.
Best: Habsburgs.
The nation is a defensive one for a reason. Various princesses for defensive bonuses, strongest forts, durable units, Trossen can counter spies, and walls that can easily reach over 10k HP. Have fun breaching that.
4. Economist.
To quote ABBA. Money, Money, Money. These nations focus on accumulating resources, and can give them to a militarist civ to ensure a powerful duo.
Runner-up: Brazil.
Various economy bonuses, free economic buildings, solid slaves, money is not a problem with these guys.
Best: Dutch.
Now imagine having to do 0 economy multitasking. 6+ Banks, you have to spam Ronin or something to drain all that gold. Also, since wood and food is cheap late game, and mercs, no suprise why Dutch have the best economy in the game. It also helps that the banks are extremely durable.
I only included the nations that are complete and playable without editing the game, before I get comments about the Maltese or sth. I hope to hear your thoughts, thanks for reading!

Tahattus
Oromo Horseman
Oromo Horseman

Re: Best nations for specific strategies

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:40 pm

Hum, do you think Ethiopia isn't a good turtler? I've heard someone complaining they're not as defensive as they look...

Tahattus
Founder of War of the Triple Alliance modding team

Image tahattus@gmail.com    Contact me: Image Image Brazil for the win! Image

"When are you gonna stop?" - Tilanus Commodor
"Definitely a fun and unique civ that we will never see anything close to in Napoleonic Era 2.21 for the next 40 to 59 years minimum right Tilanus?" - UnstoppableStreletsy

Jutlander
Cassador Montado
Cassador Montado

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Habsburgs walls have been seriously nerfed, by the way. Have you checked them?
Anyway, great list! Could you think of any more categories? You could check the statistics on the page for reference.

stefan.stefanović
Topic Author
Tigray Lancer
Tigray Lancer

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:34 pm

Ethiopia I think is solid defensively, but overall defences were stronger with these two, in my opinion.

ACN45trooper
Travois
Travois

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:50 am

I have to speak in defense of the Ethiopians. Imo, they are the definite defensive civ, eventhough I should say they early defense is quite hard to set up, but once you have some towers, you will be solid enough against most civs. Turn most of your porters into towers no matter what, leave all your other buildings to villagers if it is necessary, but that is the best way to build a solid defense without troubling up your gameplay, combine that with walls and a constant research at the library and you will be unbeatable... even if winning takes you hours.
A man’s maturity: that is to have rediscovered the seriousness he possessed as a child at play.

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

stefan.stefanović
Topic Author
Tigray Lancer
Tigray Lancer

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:02 am

ACN45trooper wrote:
I have to speak in defense of the Ethiopians. Imo, they are the definite defensive civ, eventhough I should say they early defense is quite hard to set up, but once you have some towers, you will be solid enough against most civs. Turn most of your porters into towers no matter what, leave all your other buildings to villagers if it is necessary, but that is the best way to build a solid defense without troubling up your gameplay, combine that with walls and a constant research at the library and you will be unbeatable... even if winning takes you hours.

A nice look into Ethiopian defences, but it takes time to set up. Bulgaria can have solid defences from the start, and constantly send shipments to help if needed. Also, their ecoloss is not as bad since they can fight back suprisingly well. I will play an Eth game or two today :D

stefan.stefanović
Topic Author
Tigray Lancer
Tigray Lancer

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:48 pm

Two more:
Beginner civs:
Excellent for beginners, straight forward and teach new players.
Runner-up: China
Mainly because of banner armies teaching new players to use multiple types of units. Might be gimmicky at first, but there is method in there. The most common noob mistake is spamming just one unit(I remember spamming Cuirassiers as a kid). Banner Armies help with that. Otherwise, their economy and other stuff are straightforward, the only problem might be dealing with expensive units and gimmicky housing.
Best: France.
Straightforward, solid economy, simple playstyle, if you are new to WoL or AoE3 in general, go French. They teach the best, whilst also being reliable. Others have some nuicances or gimmicks that can make things tricky, like with the Russian batches or Ottoman settler production. France has none. It is a simple late game beast
Versatility:
How open to various playstyles a civilization can be. You won't always get to play your nation the way you want. Better to play a nation that can play various roles.
Runner-up: This was really hard to do, as these 3 nations have their own qualities that allow for flexibility.
Iroquois:
The Travois allow a cheap investment into either economic buildings, military buildings or defences. Basically, you invest barely anything, and you get a lot, allowing you to invest into something else. Also, since they have gunpowder units, they are reliable late game.
Paraguay:
Their economy is strange and slow to work with, but strong settlers, free units from barracks, strong late game economy once the works kick in, it allows for playstyles ranging from swarming with trash units early on to just building a barracks or two, sending a shipment of units, and focusing on getting the works to accumulate loads of resources whilst the free units defend.
Brazil:
Imagine a combination of the previous two. Free economic buildings, can spam Voluntarios, solid economy and military late game. They can be gimmicky and slow because of the slave mechanics, Voluntarios still need a shipment, but they are basically a combination that has its own flaws.
Best: Habsburgs.
Are you suprised? Since they can inherit bonuses from various nations, they can basically have almost any playstyle, except maybe a rusher, but with those Pavisiers, you never know. This also makes them unpredictable, forcing you to invest in Spies. But wait, Trossen can see spies! Yup, versatility.

DayoftheNinja
Elephant Worker
Elephant Worker

Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:15 am

Do you have an opinion on the best beginner WoL civs? It might be useful to think about for introducing new people to the mod.
Yes, if it weren't for DOTN there would be no WoL.
    -Tahattus

stefan.stefanović
Topic Author
Tigray Lancer
Tigray Lancer

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Luckily, I already put those in the reply above you :)

davidvp
Voluntario da Patria
Voluntario da Patria

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:50 pm

DayoftheNinja wrote:
Do you have an opinion on the best beginner WoL civs? It might be useful to think about for introducing new people to the mod.

I would think about Spain, which is the basic civ in the Vanilla game. Or others like France, which does not have some special bonuses in the gameplay.